Goals, Changes, and Challenges: Fitness Focused
Hey friends! I hope everyone had a fantastic day!
Once again, a big thanks goes out to all of you who left comments for me to read I especially enjoyed your comments this time because I found it incredibly inspiring to hear that each one of you have made goals for yourself this month! Now that’s motivating! I highly recommend going back to the post and reading over the goals you all have made for yourselves. You might see a new goal you want to add to your list! I definitely got some ideas for new goals Thanks guys!
All day I have been anticipating the publishing of this post You all know my love for fitness, so I am extremely excited to share my fitness focused goals, changes, and challenges with all of you
My goals may be new goals I have set for myself or things that I am already doing and want to continue to do!
Despite the plateau I found myself in over the summer, I have managed to bust it and start upping my weights once again! Upping my weights has given me a huge confidence boost and I plan on continuing to push myself and keep increasing those weights!
Some specific exercises where I really want to increase the weights (even if it is just a little increase! everything counts!) are:
– Front and back squat
– DB shoulder press
– DB lateral raises
– Upright rows
Many of the trainers at my gym have their clients working with kettle bells and I believe that kettle bell training is an amazing way to utilize your entire body for an intense workout! Kettle bell training definitely requires proper form or, like anything else, you can wind up with some serious injuries. Obviously I try to avoid injuries like the plague, so I hope to get in contact with my personal trainer and work on kettle bell training and learn proper form so I feel confident working with kettle bells on my own!
If you are also interested in kettle bell training, check out Naomi’s post! It’s fantastic and so informative like all of the rest of her posts
Take a Class
The gym I joined offers free classes to all of their members! Why haven’t I participated in these classes!? Be spontaneous Meg! Try something new! They have hot pilates! I am very intrigued.
Let’s just say they intimidate me and I want to start doing them for some variety! I love sprinting, but have been sticking with an incline of 2 – 3%
I have always wanted to make a fitness-type of inspirational collage for my fridge or wall, but have never gotten around to it!
I am quite happy with my training and the schedule I have made for myself, but I have made some recent changes that I want to share with all of you. I am sharing the top five changes that I have made because there are so many changes that I have made overall. Since my knowledge on fitness and exercising keeps growing, changes keep being made. But, like I said, here are my top five changes that I think you should know:
– Adding variation to the amount of sets and reps (This has helped me bust through my plateau! Yay! Once again, thank you Tara!)
– Adding ab work and plyometrics throughout my workout instead of at the end
– Focusing more on compound moves than isolated moves
– Focusing more on stretching (I have started foam rolling before and after each leg workout. I will be doing a post on this and going more in depth in the near future!)
– And the most important change of all (yes, I saved the best for last this time!) focusing on the intensity of my workout not the time spent at the gym. I made this change over the course of September. I used to be (all last year) so focused on being at the gym for an entire hour, but seriously… if I can feel fatigued and have completely jelly legs in less than an hour, why wouldn’t I opt for that!? I am focusing on training harder rather than longer and have seen the most progress from this technique.
A goal can be viewed very similar to challenges, but I took my goals and made specific challenges for myself to work towards:
– Increase my DB shoulder press to 25 lbs. (At least! I am at 20 lbs. right now)
– Try working with kettle bells at least once this month
– Take at least one class this month
– Increase incline when doing sprints on the treadmill. I have created a routine for myself, so be expecting a Hill Sprint routine to try out
– Make an inspirational collage once my midterms are over
I think the goals, changes, and challenges are all in line with my overall goals; therefore, I am happy with what I have planned for the month of November I am really excited to look back on this list once December rolls around and see how much I have accomplished
Take Home Tip:
I wanted to provide all of you with a fitness related tip that has helped be get to where I am today (obviously I am no where near being considered an athlete or a professional in any means, but I am happy with where I have gotten myself in a short period of time, so I will share one piece of fitness advice that I personally find incredibly helpful!)
There is no be all and end all program that works for everyone. Trust me, I have spent oodles of time looking at different routines, workouts, programs, etc., but what really matters is finding what works for you.
I will remind you again that each one of us are unique and the same thing that works for me may not work for you.
Do exercises that you like!
Don’t waste time at the gym doing something you hate!
Enjoy what you are doing and go from there
Oh, how I love Aubrie She will most definitely be on my inspirational collage
The thing that I appreciate today was the random hug that I received from a friend in the hallway today! She was walking passed me and just tackled me with a big hug and told me she missed me Totally made my day!
What is one thing that you appreciate today?
Did you make a fitness goal for November? What is it?
Have you ever found yourself in a fitness plateau? How did you break out of it?
Good night friends! A nutrition focused post tomorrow! You’ll find out all about the goals, changes, and challenges that I have made in that area in my life There might just be a recipe thrown in there, too! (seeing as how it’s a nutrition post and all )
Lots of love,
Fun Fact that has NOTHING to do with Fitness:
Movember was created by this guy!
(Don’t worry, I’m not thinking of growing a ‘stache I just thought that this was a cool fun fact and he was on the Merilyn Dennis show this morning! Haha!)